Applying makeup for the first time can be a daunting prospect; no mater what gender you are.
Finding the time to practice application is essential if you are trying to wear makeup discreetly. It has taken me years to find my preferred makeup and perfect the techniques needed to conceal my blemishes. But don’t worry; it doesn’t have to take you years to learn how to perfect your makeup style.
Follow my simple makeup tips for men and you will be a pro in no time!
- Start Small – choose a maximum of four products and once you become comfortable you can build from there.
- Colour Match – I would always recommend that where possible you go in-store to get a professional to match you up with the correct shade but if you’re not ready for that, buy the two closest shades to your natural skin colour. You will inevitably use them both throughout the year as the seasons change.
- Natural Light – the best place to apply makeup is somewhere with an abundance of natural light. I have always found bathrooms a good place to apply makeup. But if your bathroom doesn’t have a window, it might be worth investing in a small magnifying mirror light.
- Tools – before you go straight in with your fingers, the key to a discreet application is blending. Much the same as when you have your hair cut; you don’t want any obvious lines. I prefer to blend with brushes, but for beginners I would recommend using a sponge. It’s easily concealable in a wash bag and won’t leave you with any rouge hairs on your face; which is often a problem when using makeup brushes.
- Application – for the best results, always apply over a moisturised face. Makeup likes to cling to any areas of dry skin with can make your foundation patchy. Using your sponge use a dabbing technique to achieve a fuller coverage. Check your hairline, eyebrows and beard. Makeup loves to cling to areas where there is a lot of hair. Sometimes when I am a bit heavy handed, I wipe these areas (minus the beard!) with a tissue or cloth to remove any excess. If you keep your face clean shaven, I would recommend giving your skin a little breathing period before applying a tinted moisturiser or foundation. If you are short on time, keep a few damp cloths in your fridge so that you can do a cold compress after you shave. The cold temperature will help to constrict the pores and reduce sensitivity. If you have applied your makeup before donning your clothes, you will need to be mindful of getting makeup on your collar. Unfortunately, applying makeup when you are already dressed isn’t without it’s problems either. With the mineral makeups I recommend, the loose powders can sometimes find their way onto your clothes, so when you are applying your makeup, I find applying it whilst leaning over a sink prevents me getting foundation on my clothes.
- Removal -this is just as important as application. A lot of people ask me if wearing makeup can make acne worse. I always say that it depends on the brand of makeup, but in addition to that; not removing your makeup properly can lead to breakouts. Put your face wash in the shower and clean your face as part of your usual shower routine. Use a flannel or muslin cloth to remove the product and exfoliate 2-3 times per week for a deeper pore cleanse.
- Time – while you’re still perfecting your application, allow plenty of time in the morning to get ready. Once you are feeling confident with your technique; it won’t add more than five minutes onto your day.
- Online Tutorials – when I first started concealing my acne, there wasn’t the abundance of makeup tutorials that there are now on YouTube. This is a great way to learn tips and build your confidence with makeup.
- Confidence – you got this! If wearing make up is going to help you be the best version of yourself, do it! There is nothing more attractive than someone who is confident in their own skin.
- Support – you are not alone. There a hundreds of men and women out there that feel self conscious about their skin. If you have more questions on skincare or makeup advice, comment below or join my acne support group- Love Your Skin.
MAKEUP BRANDS DESINGED BY MEN
In my opinion this is the most established brand of male makeup. More than just makeup; it is a movement dedicated to empowering men all over the world to feel more confident in their own skin.
Not only do they have a one-stop website; where you can buy all the cosmetics you could possibly desire, there is also an abundance of helpful pages to inspire, comfort and support you through the process.
Any man who is considering wearing makeup for the first time, is probably going to need a little reassurance that wearing makeup is OK! If you head over to their website you can read testimonials from some of the men who are already using the brand.
My favourite part of their website is ‘Ask the ladies’. They have really thought of everything! This is a platform for men to write in and ask for the opinion of a group of ladies on anything; ranging from application techniques to sexual appeal.
If all of that wasn’t enough they also have their own blog which tackles their most frequently asked questions.
When it comes to selecting products online that are best suited to you, MMUK Man has got you completely covered. All you have to do is send them in a recent photograph of either your face or back of your hand and they will get back to you within four working hours advising you on what products will work best for you.
But how will you know what shade to pick?
Don’t worry they’ve thought of that too and created a MAN PALETTE to make it easier to choose the best colour match for you.
Utterly impressed, I had to speak to the founder of MMUK Man to find out more about this growing brand.
How important is it for men to feel confident to wear makeup?
It’s absolutely imperative! Half of pulling off makeup naturally and to
feel comfortable whilst wearing it is confidence. It might not be
something you can switch on, especially as a newbie, but as long as you’re
on a journey towards growing confidence then there’s no way you should
avoid wearing cosmetics.
Which products from MMUK Man are best suited to treat and conceal acne?
Aside from our anti-acne skincare line, most guys tend to use our mineral
matte foundation and mineral matifying powder and combine it with our
concealer stick to achieve natural flawless looks that cover up acne and
What does the future look like for mens makeup?
This year we’re launching our first high street store in Brighton. We’re also planning
to expand our offering within Europe and set up distribution centres in
France, Spain and Germany in order to get MMUK in people’s hands
quicker. We’ll also be expanding our retailer portfolio to get MMUK on
every high street.
When I discovered War Paint I was immediately attracted to the packaging and thought; this is the perfect brand for any man wishing to cover up their insecurities.
It was created by Daniel Gray, who as a child grew up self conscious about the way he looked. Twelve years ago, Daniel would either borrow his sisters concealer or go into a shop and buy makeup ‘for someone else’.
This is the perfect brand for anyone who is new to applying makeup. Not only is the collection small, it has been designed for complete ease of use. The unique foundation brush is perfectly formed to reach every angle of your face; making application quick and easy.
What I love about this brand is their transparency when it comes to their ingredients. All of the products are made in the U.K. and are all vegan and cruelty free. They also have a section on their website where you can see exactly what is inside their products.
This brand not only looks the part but keeps grooming simple. Not only is the packaging stylish, the technology inside is specially formulated to rival any cosmetics targeted at women. As well as covering up blemishes, these products will brighten and mattify your skin whilst combating premature ageing.
The ingredients won’t clog your pores either! Formen is non comedogenic, hypoallergenic and fragrance free, so you won’t smell like you’ve been applying products.
But don’t just take my word for it. I caught up with Andrew- the founder of Formen and asked him to tell us more about makeup for men.
Can you tell us a bit about why you created Formen?
Do you think male grooming has changed in the last decade?
100% yes and it is still continuing to evolve. Ten years ago you had an extremely limited range of products sold for men in terms of facial washes and moisturizers. The landscape moved from a handful of options through various trends like the metrosexual craze in the 90’s to more current ones like the rise of the beards and gender fluidity. That combined with general awareness and knowledge on male grooming as a whole, consumers are taking note (and buying products to care for themselves).
How does makeup for men differ to regular makeup?
Formen products are made to simplify the entire process. We tried to eliminate any sort of applicators or barriers to entry, so all but one product is applied simply with your hands. We also are changing the perspective on the topic, when people think makeup we find they tend to think colour – blue eye shadows and red lipsticks that give a drastic change on the users face. Formen’s products are to simply target the most common skin concerns for our audience, anything from under eye circles to pimples.
What are your ‘go to’ products from the FORMEN range?
My favorite product is the brightening CC Cream. It’s 6 products in one easy bottle. It comes out white so it looks normal and then when it contacts the skin micro encapsulated pigments adapts to the skin, so it changes color.
Is there a particular product you recommend for concealing acne?
Yep! Depending on how pronounced the acne is you can do a few different things. You’ll want a full fledged concealer that’s a little bit brighter than your skin tone.
If it’s very red you can use a green concealer first, and then apply the skin tone concealer. You can also use a full face foundation to get an even skin tone in conjunction with the concealers. Since I can product plug here – we have a three in one concealer so if you don’t know what your skin tone is, we have you covered.
How to conceal your acne:
If you want to know more about Formen or want information about where to buy their products click here.